09 April 2015

You. Are. Beautiful.

I watched this video yesterday and it reached right where I needed it to.
I watched it again today and cried for a second time.
Have a look!


Here’s What Happens When Women Decide to Call Themselves Beautiful (with the article)

Ever since the world taught me what "pretty" was, I've struggled with the decision of whether or not I fall into that category. This didn't just affect how I feel about my appearance, but also about how I think others perceive my opinions, reactions, and conversation. My self-confidence is normally low and the anxiety because of my awareness of my low self-confidence can get really high.

I saw this video posted yesterday on a friend's FB page (thanks, Emily!) and opened it up. I almost immediately started crying, sympathizing with the women in the video defining themselves as "average." I knew the pain that that label causes me and also knew that each of the women in this video - each of the women in this world - are beautiful and I did not want them to feel that pain. I wanted them to know that they're beautiful!

And then it hit me.

Alyssa Anne Holbeck is beautiful as well.
She is beautiful because God made her - a piece of work that he carefully and lovingly crafted, that he knew and loved before anyone else had imagined her existence.
That is me. And I am beautiful.

I watched this video in the morning before I left for class, and I noticed all day reminders floating through my head that I am beautiful. When I was starting to feel ashamed - "Alyssa, you're beautiful!" When I was feeling timid - "Alyssa, have confidence. God loves you, and he made you - beautiful."

My Father used this video to remind me that I don't need to pay attention to what the world believes about beauty. I need to turn to him, trust in his everlasting love, and know that because I am a child of God (just like every other human being out there), I am beautiful.

I want you to have encouragement from this video as I have. I want you to be uplifted and joyful and triumphant and to know you're loved by an almighty God. I want you to know that

You. Are. Beautiful.


You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous-how well I know it.
You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.
How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered!
I can't even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up, you are still with me!
Psalm 139: 13-18

#ChooseBeautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment